November 12, 2009

GARDEN FLIGHT BLOCK FOR QUILTMAKER


This is my block featured in Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks! I wanted to include embroidery, no surprise, but I also wanted to challenge myself with some piecing. My sewing skills aren't up to par with many of you out there and sitting at a sewing machine isn't a relaxing treat for me, but I keep plugging away and it is getting easier. I think part of my problem is I don't have a type A personality (close is good enough when it comes to corners matching up right?) I'm more like a P or T, and that's just fine with me. I love, love, love playing around with designs and blocks on my computer, but figuring out how to actually make it all go together just makes my head hurt! If someone tells me about a nifty new product to make piecing easier I'm all for it! The nifty tool I used on this block was a special ruler for making Flying Geese and it really was fantastic! It is called "Fit to be Geese" and it's made by Open Gate. Monique Dillard, the Open Gate designer, also has a block in Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks. She's a sweetie!

I was asked if my mom was a quilter. Yes, she is an accomplished quilter. We grew up surrounded by quilts going back several generations. I always had a great appreciation for them and I also appreciated how much time and talent went into each one. We grew up sewing our own clothes too and I DID NOT have a great appreciation for that! The thought of sewing in a sleeve still makes me break out in a cold sweat.



Pin It!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely block. I can't wait to buy the zine!