December 15, 2018

NO KNOTS


I'm usually not too concerned about the appearance of the back of my embroidery.  I usually make so many knots and "travel" so much it looks like a beautiful macrame back there.  I might be exaggerating a tiny bit. 

Anyway, when I stitch up a tea towel I have to change my thinking and take the time to make the backside as presentable as possible. There are two methods I like to use to stitch without knots.  One is called using a "Waste Knot".  The other has no name I'm aware of so I'll call it "Double Up".


Waste Knot -
Using 2 strands of floss

1. Tie a knot at one end of your floss.
2. Thread the other end onto your needle (I like to use an embroidery needle size 8).
3. From the topside pull the needle down about 4" from the starting point of the embroidery.
4. Start stitching as usual until there is about 4" of thread left on your needle.
*leave the slack from the knot to the starting point.
5. On the backside thread the needle through several of the previous stitches.
6. Cut off the excess thread.

7. Cut off the knot and pull the thread to the backside.
8. Thread the floss onto the needle and weave it under existing stitches as you did in step #5 above.


Double Up -
Use 1 strand of floss

1. Cut a length of floss 2x the length you need.
*I usually stitch with a length of about 24" so I would cut this about 48", but I never measure exactly
2. Fold the floss in half to form a loop.
3. Thread the cut ends onto the needle.


4. Pull the needle up from the backside at your starting point being careful not to pull the thread all of the way through.
5. Pull the needle to the backside about 1/8" away.
6. Thread the needle through the loop on the backside and pull gently to secure.
7. Start stitching!


When you start your next length of floss simply thread the needle through several of the existing stitches.

The embroidery design I'm working on in these examples is a One Stitch at a Time design. One Stitch at a Time is a super cool monthly embroidery club.  On the 1st of every month, a brand spankin' new 6" x 6" embroidery design is emailed directly to you.  Every month a lucky member will win a fun prize too.
2019 brings out first quilt challenge contest!  There are many prizes from the generous folks at Moda, Martingale, and more! Join anytime, it's only $2 a month and it will bring you $5 or more of joy : )
For more information click on the "CLUBS" button in the right column.





Pin It!

31 comments:

Regina said...

Love the double up Kathy. Thanks to sharing.

sandi s said...

I use what you call the double up. It works great most of the time. I love all the information and I have a couple of your embroiderey books. Your designs are wonderful. Hugs,

Loris said...

Great techniques! I love your designs. Not working on towels at the moment but I'm going to give this a practice try. Thank you! Merry Christmas!

Carole~Quilter on the hill said...

What you call double up I recently learnt from some fellow quilters who called this an anchor knot - thanks for the great post Kathy!

Bits of Stitching! said...

It is always super nice to see your blog updates!
Yes, I too use those methods in combination with knots ;-).
The one you know as the "double up", I learned it as the "loop method".

EPS said...

I will try it too... beautiful

Philadelphia Private Investigator

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. I hope it will be helpful for too many people that are searching for this topic.

Unbelievable Cancer Treatment Scottsdale

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this blogs..It gives more knowledge to us. I will tell it to all my friends. Can i bookmarked this? Thanks.

Unbelievable PCX Dallas IT Support

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to read your waste knot tutorial! I've often wondered if there was another way to hide 'knots'. Thank you so much! It's hard to find any information on hand embroidery,,,most sites are machine embroidery information. So glad I stumbled across you through Pieces From My Heart blog. Thank you again. have a great day.

online shop said...

Amazing Post Good artical your site
Hot shapers in Pakistan
Amazing Post Good artical your site
Hot shapers Price in Pakistan
Amazing Post Good artical your site
Hot shapers pant
Pakistan




online shop said...

Amazing Post Good artical your site
Air lounge sofa cum Bed 5 in 1 in Pakistan

david kid said...

nice,this blog really helps allot thanks :)

Unbelievable Distribuidora Los Compadres Wholesale Mexican Food

Bethlehem Private Investigator said...

i really learned a lot, thanks for sharing this great reference. thanks :)

Julia Robert said...

Perfect art of digitizing. I learned new things in this post. Thanks for the valuable post.

Darla said...

Love your no knot tips and will them. Also watched your freezer paper video and will try that also. I’ve always used an iron on interfacing on the back of my work to hide thread carry overs but would not be able to iron on when using Frixon markers as the heat would cause the markings to disappear. What do you use to back your stitching? Y

william jacket said...

I read this article which is really awesome and brings a lot of information for us. I really appreciate this kind of blogs. Keep sharing.

William Walsh said...

Great share. Keep it up.
Cloud Computing Solutions

Hugo Cannon said...

Reminds me of something.
Website

Celia Ford said...

nice work.

Los Algodones MX Dentist

Nicholas Waldo said...

It's a good hobby.
Simi Valley Storage Units

Velvetsofa said...

Your article is really good. Your work is really inspiring and informative thanks for share such a nice blog.
Fabric sofa in UK

Amy Palomo said...

Perfect for Christmas.
Amazing Los Algodones Dentist

Ernest Borquez said...

Christmas is coming.

Stanton Storage

OGEN Infosystem (P) Limited said...

Keep it up for more information about this related blog. Visit OGEN Infosystem for the best web designing and development also get SEO Services in Delhi, India.
SEO Service in Delhi

Kristen Broad said...

I was serching from tutorials from different blogs, this is very helfull for me for embroidery designing.

stitchmax said...

I am really impressed by your work, we also work in embroidery digitizing services in mumbai . The Stitchmax Provide best embroidery digitizing service, it is a great way to start creating and editing professional embroidery designs on a VERY low budget.

jeewangarg said...

Keep it up for more updates for this related blogs, visit Jeewangarg for Best PPC Company and SEO Services in Delhi, India.

Video Production Company said...

Well I definitely enjoyed reading it. This tip procured by you is very constructive for correct planning.
Video production in delhi
Corporate video production company in delhi
Corporate video production services in delhi

Aaron Paul jackets said...

Shop this amazing Breaking Bad Aaron Paul jackets from our online fashion hub at reduced price. Enjoy up to 50% on all men women leather jackets. Visit and explore you style.

Outsource Seo Philippines said...

Outsource Seo Philippines Stand out from the crowd and skyrocket your website up search engines’ rankings with data-fuelled and algorithm-driven SEO services.

Riya said...

Hi there,I enjoy reading through your article post, I wanted to write a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuationAll the best for all your blogging efforts.
formula equation