December 11, 2014

Buttermilk Basin Holiday Blog Hop

Welcome!  Thank you so much for taking a moment to stop by and see what I've been up to!

For as long as I can remember I have ADORED anything tiny.  When I was trying to come up with a project for this blog hop I thought it would be fun to think little.  Every well decorated tree has it's own lovely tree skirt to finish it off and I thought it would be fun to make a little tree skirt for a little tree!

wool tree skirt
SUPPLIES:
1. A small artificial tree (mine is about 14" tall)
*It came with the base wrapped in burlap which I removed to reveal a "rustic" wooden base.

2. Wool -
     black - about 12" x 12"
     gold - 2" x 6"
     green - 4" x 6"
     red - 2" x 4" 

3. Pinking shears and small sharp scissors

4. Fusible web
*I used Soft Fuse®
 
fusible web











5. A white, or light, marking tool.
6. A dinner plate for a template
*or something round between 10 1/2" - 11 1/2"
7. Thread to match the wool - gold, red and green
8. Floss to match the gold wool

LET'S GET STARTED!
Place the dinner place on the black wool and trace around it with the light marking tool -









Cut out the circle using the pinking shears -









Fold the circle into quarters and snip off the folded point about 1/2" from point then unfold-












Fold the circle in half and cut along the fold from the edge to the center on ONE side.  Trim the snipped whole to a circle if needed -









Trace 12 holly leaves, 5 stars and 18 berries onto the paper side of the fusible web.
Iron the pieces to the appropriate wool color using a hot dry iron -

Cut out the shapes.

Peel off the paper backing.

Arrange on the black circle.

Press to adhere the shapes to the wool.  This is more of a temporary hold.

Using matching thread whip stitch the pieces in place.

For the red berries double the thread and make a French knot (wrapping the needle 3 times, in the center of the circle.

Using 3 strands of the gold floss make two lines of running stitches around the edge of the skirt.


If you really want to get into it how about wrapping some tiny presents!  Or find a little train to run around the base of the tree.  The possibilities are endless! I would love to see pictures of what creative ideas you come up with.

Click HERE for the mini Christmas Tree Skirt pattern.


Now it's time to bake up some Snickerdoodles!  These were my boys favorites (and mine too).

For a printable copy of the recipe click HERE.



I wish I could make this a scratch and sniff for you!


Thank you and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Make sure you hop over to Crabapple Hill tomorrow!  I can't wait to see what darling thing she has in store for us!







Pin It!

32 comments:

Barbara said...

Thank you for a great project. I am going to enjoy making up your pattern.

Unknown said...

OH how CUTE! I have just the little tree waiting for this project! It sits in my kitchen. Thank you! Merry Christmas!

sue bennett said...

Great project.. I need to get busy, I would love to be able to smell those cookies.
suebennett1975@gmail.com

Kate said...

Thank you, Kathy, for the cute tree skirt and recipe - the cookies look delicious. Merry Christmas!

Me and My Stitches said...

I love this project, and I really need a tree skirt for my pencil tree! I love all things tiny too - maybe I should decorate a tiny tree with my tiny charms...Could somebody find some more hours in a day!?

Robyn said...

So cute and so perfect for a little tree. Thank you.

deb-bee said...

Thank you so much for the Merry little CHRISTMAS tree skirt. I also have a small tree that needs a skirt. You made the perfect wool project . I love Snicker Doodles! 🐝

Karen said...

I just love the mini tree skirt and snicker doodles are one of my favorite cookies. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Happy Holidays!
Karen M

Tdsvintagelife said...

I have been wanting to get a tree skirt made for my kitchen tree this & will be perfect thank you so much. Merry Christmas

Janet O. said...

I love tiny things, too, and I have the perfect tree for this sweet project!
I also love Snickerdoodles and am thrilled to get a recipe that uses all butter and no shortening!
Thanks for a great post!

paulette said...

Thank you SEW much!! Definitely a WINNER!! I just bought a wee tree and this will be PERFECT! Thank YOU! Have a lovely Christmas and all the best!
P

tich said...

What a great project. I am going to see if I can get a little tree. I want to make this and the biscuits.

Linda said...

Thank you Kathy. I have just the tree for this skirt! Snickerdoodles are my family's favorite!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Thanks so much for the cute tree skirt pattern and the cookie recipe!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Kathy! Because of your generosity and creativity there will be a lot of well dressed little trees this Christmas! As always, your designs are perfect! Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Claire in Victoria

Donna Keating said...

Thanks for sharing with us.

Loris said...

Merry Christmas, Kathy! Hope your holidays are warm and happy!
Thank you for the sweet design and recipe :-)

jefferson said...

I, too, love tiny things and always have.

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Merry Christmas Kathy,
Love your "little" tree skirt, and cookie recipe.
Carrie

Joan said...

Thank you for the lovely pattern and cookie recipe. I have the perfect, little tree for your cute, tree skirt. Happy Holidays!

Unknown said...

Happy to fine the shop and designer of All Stitched up patterns. I have made two of them and one of my favorites. Love your patterns

Sandi said...

How lovely, thanks so much for sharing your design.

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful mini skirt and I do love small, prim trees, so this is perfect for those.

Debbie

Candee said...

Thank you!!! I have several little trees with no little skirts, until now! Snickerdoodles are my daughter's favorite too. Looking forward to trying yours. Merry Christmas.

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Thank you! I love this project!

Trish said...

Thank you for the cute pattern & the yummy cookie recipe! I love this blog hop :) Merry Christmas!

Cheryl said...

This tree skirt would be perfect for my little Christmas tree. Thank you so much for the pattern and recipe. Merry Christmas.

carol said...

I have the perfect small tree missing a Christmas skirt. Can't wait to try this cookie recipe.

Veronica said...

Kathy,
Thank you for the pattern for the mini tree skirt. I have just the tree waiting to get "dressed". I love that it is made from wool. :)
I remember having snickerdoodles when I was young, but it has been a long time. I'll have to make them for the holidays. Mmmm! Happy Holidays to you!

Sowing Stitches said...

Oh how fun! I think I shall make the cookies first![gluten-free] :) Crafting with cookies is my one weakness.... :) Honestly, anything with cookies is my one weakness!
Merry Christmas!!!

Joni said...

Adorable! Thank you!

Janet said...

Oh oh oh! I have that exact same tree and what a great idea for the tree skirt ... thanks!